Being injured in an accident resulting from another party’s actions or negligence can impact your life in many ways. After an unexpected accident, you may face such struggles and losses as:

  • Costly medical bills
  • Loss of income, as your injuries may prevent you from working until you’ve fully recovered
  • Pain and suffering


Those are just a few examples. In Florida, victims often have the option of seeking compensation for such losses by filing claims with the insurance carriers of the negligent parties responsible for their accidents.

However, what if you’ve been injured as a result of negligence on the part of a Florida State government agency? Do you still have the right to compensation in these circumstances?

Often, the answer is yes. Learn more by reviewing your case with a Florida State tort claims attorney at Colson Hicks Eidson. We’ll help you better understand your legal options.


Florida law allows victims of negligence to seek compensation from the State of Florida in certain instances. Specifically, you can file a claim or lawsuit against the state if:

  • Your injury resulted from a wrongful act or an omission
  • You sustained losses for which you may be compensated (such as medical bills)
  • If the negligent party was a private party rather than a state agency, employee, or representative, they would be deemed liable in these circumstances


That said, numerous limitations also apply in these cases. They include the following:

  • Individual government employees may not be considered personally liable except when they intentionally harm victims
  • If a case is brought against one state agency, the maximum amount of damages available is $200,000; if a claim is brought against multiple agencies, the maximum amount of damages available is $300,000
  • Punitive damages (which serve to punish the liable party instead of compensating the victim for specific losses) cannot be awarded in these cases, nor can interest that accrued prior to an official judgment being entered
  • The state can appeal a case’s outcome
  • When bringing an action against a state university, a plaintiff must do so in the county where the university’s main campus is based, unless it can be shown that the university has a “substantial presence” in another county


None of the above information is meant to discourage you from seeking compensation if you’ve been harmed as a result of negligence on the part of a state employee or agency in Florida. It’s simply meant to highlight the potential complexity of these cases.

When bringing an action against a state agency or entity, it’s wise to seek representation from a legal professional who has experience handling these matters. A Florida State tort claims attorney can help you by:

  • Applying their understanding of Florida law to confirm that you have a valid case
  • Conducting an investigation to identify the liable party or parties
  • Gathering evidence of negligence
  • Negotiating for a proper settlement based on the extent and severity of your losses


At Colson Hicks Eidson, we have 50 years of experience providing clients like you with effective representation. That’s the kind of expertise you need on your side when filing a claim or lawsuit against the government in Florida. Learn more about how we can help by contacting us online or calling us at 305-476-7400.

Contact us
At Colson Hicks Eidson, we are committed to providing our clients with the best possible legal representation in litigation. With our experienced attorneys, in-depth knowledge of the law, and commitment to our clients’ success, we are the go-to firm for complex civil litigation matters. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.